The information below briefly describes the lifecycle of a document pushed into the eDMS system.
- Put a new document into the system: The document is UPLOADED by a user from a file system (workstation, server, ...) into the eDMS system. After the first upload, all document's activities will be tracked.
- Document pending or directly available: Depending on the start date, the document will be PENDING (if the start date is older than the current date) or AVAILABLE (if no start date has been specified).
- Control and validation processes: If the document needs to be controlled, it will be locked as WAITING FOR CONTROL. Once the controler assigned for this document decides if the document is acceptable or not, the document will be released as WAITING FOR VALIDATION (for validated control) or as REJECTED AT CONTROL (for non validated control). If the document needs to be validated, it will be locked as WAITING FOR VALIDATION. Once the validator assigned for this document decides if the document is acceptable or not, the document will be released as AVAILABLE (validated) or as REJECTED AT VALIDATION (not validated).
- Put a new release into the system (check out/check in): If a new version of the document must be uploaded into the eDMS system, the previous document version must be first CHECKED OUT. Then you can apply modifications on the document before to CHECK IN the document again into the eDMS system. For critical documents, the control and/or validation process will be applied after each new checkin of a document.
- Delete a document: If a user decides to not use a document anymore, he/she can DELETE this document.
- Expired document: If an end date has been set at document creation time, and if this date is reached, then the document will be set as EXPIRED by the system.
Rem: At any time, the document can be modified (data, location, ...).
Table below displays the eDMS options availability regarding your user's category and the document status:
Table 3.1. eDMS options availability and document flow
| ||AVAILABLE||CHECKED OUT||DELETED||LOCKED||WAITING CONTROL||WAITING VALIDATION||REJECTED CONTROL||REJECTED VALIDATION||PENDING||EXPIRED|
|CHANGE DATA||O||O|| || || || ||O||O||O||O|
|VIEW HISTORY||OECVW||OECVW||OD|| ||OECV||OECV||OECV||OECV||OECVW||OECVW|
|DOC LOCATION||O|| || || || || ||O||O||O||O|
|DELETE||OD|| || || || || ||OD||OD||OD||OD|
|CHECK OUT||OEW|| || || || || ||OEW||OEW||OEW||OEW|
|CHECK IN|| ||#OEW|| || || || || || || || |
|UNDELETE|| || ||OD|| || || || || || || |
|CONTROL|| || || || ||C|| || || || || |
|VALIDATION|| || || || || ||V|| || || || |
- O: Owner
- E: Editor
- C: Controller
- V: Validator
- R: Reader
- W: Writer (publisher)
- D: Deleter
- #: Only one option at the same time